Yeah, summer 2013 is rounding out and all the winter clothes are starting to fill the shelves in the department stores. Did you look and feel your best this summer? Well, if not, you are not alone. But it’s never too late. Summer 2014 is coming! Now is the time to start working toward your beach body for summer 2014!
Here are five tips to make sure you see the best fitness results for next summer!
1. Start a workout routine now and be consistent. Be realistic. Set yourself up for success! If your schedule only allows two or three days per week to work out then be consistent with that. You will start to feel the difference in your strength and endurance over your consistent effort without killing yourself by trying to start out doing too much. You will actually want to start adding more to your routine and will be able to handle it after a few weeks of consistent effort.
Mix it up
2. Mix up your routine so it’s not the same boring workout! This keeps your workouts fresh and exciting which will keep you engaged and makes the commitment easier. Running or walking is great but it will not deliver the results for a firm tone body that most people want. Seek help from a fitness professional who knows how to mix things up. They should know more than you and it would be well worth the investment in yourself if you see the results that you want. Even elite athletes need trainers and coaches … not because they are out of shape but because they need help fine-tuning their level of success! How much more do job holders, business owners, parents and children need someone guiding them into the most appropriate fitness routine?
3. Healthy eating is more than just good food choices. Portion size is more of a concern. Even making the best food choices can cause you to store body fat if you eat too much! Come to understand how much food you should be eating based on your current body weight, body fat, your activity level and your goals. This is the other major key to seeing your success and would be worth the investment in yourself to find a fitness professional who can help you understand your specific needs for nutrition.
4. There is no “magic pill!” There are so many products, supplements, video programs, etc. out there that make you feel that if you just buy it then you will “magically” become fit and look like all the models advertising these things. Impossible! Results come from good work and consistent effort. The only trick is trying to do it smarter to see the best results!
5. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you make some bad food choices or miss a scheduled workout. Get over it and start being more consistent with your efforts. Before you know it you will see the results you really want and it will motivate you to keep up the good work!
Let’s face it … obesity rates are at an all-time high and it’s getting worse. In a society of fast food and convenience in electronics we are less involved with physical activity and eating healthy. If that doesn’t concern you then think about our children! We must lead by example and start living a healthier lifestyle. It really can be done while having fun and actually seeing the results you really want!
Be part of the movement to help make Chula Vista the healthiest city in California! Sign up for our free e-newsletter for Team IHF at www.TheInstituteofHealthandFitness.com for more helpful exercise tips and healthy eating tricks and recipes to take your fitness to the next level!
Ty Valkanas, a former U.S. Navy SEAL, serves as the program director at Body By Bobbie, Inc. – The Institute of Health & Fitness and Global Fighting Legion; also an advisory board member for the Southwestern College Fitness Certification Program. www.BodyByBobbie.com